Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff recipe is notable both for what it does offer—all the creamy, cozy flavor of the classic recipe, lightened up with a few healthy ingredient swaps and made easier in the crock pot—as well as for what it doesn’t. This crock pot beef stroganoff is made without canned soup.
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef Salad Dressing?
The easiest thing about most slow cooker recipes is being able to throw an ingredient in the pot and forget about it. For this recipe, the first step is to brown the meat and vegetables before placing them in the Dutch oven. This step adds a lot of flavor, but if you’re really in a hurry, you can skip the browning process and just add the beef, mushrooms, and onions to the pan.
You can use goulash or cut it into 2-inch pieces. After a long slow cooker, this marbling meat will melt in your mouth. After the beef and vegetables are cooked, stir some sour cream into the gravy and toss with the cooked noodles.
Egg noodles are common in Beef Stroganoff, but if you don’t have egg noodles on hand, other short noodle shapes will work too. This Crock Pot Beef Salad Dressing is the perfect accompaniment to steamed vegetables or green salads.
Ingredients you will need for beef stroganoff
Some stroganoff recipes use quick-cooking beef strips or steaks for a quick and easy meal. However, for slow-cooking beef Stroganoff, you need to choose the right cut of beef to slow-cook. This recipe uses beef or casserole steak, cut from the shoulder, and is great for stews, soups, and curries – when cooked slowly, it’s incredibly tender and meaty. If you prefer, you can swap out the lining for gravy meat, also known as shin, which has a similar taste and texture. You will need to cut the beef into 3 cm long pieces so it will brown and cook evenly.
Of course, beef Stroganoff isn’t just beef – what really sets this dish apart is the Stroganoff sauce. The right combination of ingredients is the secret to a delicious sauce. Classic vegetables for beef salad dressing are brown onions and mushrooms – brown cup mushrooms have a stronger flavor than white cup mushrooms, but white mushrooms can be substituted if desired. It’s important to cut the vegetables into equal pieces so they cook evenly, so slice the onions and mushrooms thickly before you start. To make the sauce more flavorful, add some crushed garlic cloves and a tablespoon of paprika – we use a combination of regular and smoked paprika to give the sauce an extra smoky flavor – and Dijon mustard.
It’s also important to use the right amount of liquid when preparing beef salad in the slow cooker. The slow cooker should be covered and the liquid should not evaporate too much during the cooking process, so if you add too much liquid, the finished dish will be very watery. For this recipe, you only need 1 cup (250 ml) of beef broth and 1 can of diced tomatoes to produce enough liquid to cook the beef. Once the beef is cooked to perfection, add 1/2 cup (120 g) sour cream and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, then stir in 1 tablespoon cornstarch and a little water and mix well. It’s best to wait until the cooking process is over before adding dairy products to the slow cooker, as they can easily curdle if overheated.
What is the best cut of beef to use?
Chuck steak (braising steak) – comes from the forequarter- Consisting of parts of the neck, shoulder blade, and upper arm.
It’s a tough but very flavourful cut of meat. It has a lot of connective tissue, which needs long slow cooking to break down and become tender.
Silverside (bottom round) – comes from the hindquarter – just above the back leg.
It’s a leaner, inexpensive cut of meat with little marbling. The lack of fat means it doesn’t have as much flavour as chuck steak, so make sure you use good quality stock to cook it in. It’s good for slow cooking, but must be cooked with enough moisture/liquid so doesn’t dry out and become tough.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This slow-cooked beef salad dressing is made with tender beef, mushrooms, and egg noodles, all in a rich, creamy dressing. An easy crock pot dinner of pure comfort food!
➤ Prep time: 15 minutes
➤ Cooking time: 4 hours
➤ Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes
➤ Calories 499kcal
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Use 2 cups beef broth divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 ounces egg noodles, cooked in salted water according to package directions
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Place ground beef in a bowl and sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper. Put everything together.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (wok) over high heat (or use the sauté function of your slow cooker, if you have one).
- Then add half of the meat to the pot. Fry for 6-8 minutes, turning regularly, until browned throughout.
- Once browned, use a slotted spoon to add to the slow cooker, then repeat with the remaining beef, adding the second batch to the slow cooker as well.
- Reduce the heat of the pan to medium and add the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onions are tender.
- Add the garlic and continue to simmer for a minute.
- Then add Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, beef broth and mushrooms.
- Whisk everything together, making sure to scrape up any debris that may be sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil, stir again, and add to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours, until beef is tender.
- If you want the sauce to thicken a bit, add the corn batter and stir.
- Combine the double cream and sour cream, then gently stir into the beef and sauce, taking care not to break the beef (it will be very tender).
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and some black pepper before serving.
Just follow globaltimes-sl.org simple tips above and get great results every time. Want to switch to beef? Try our Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff. If you’re short on time, you can still enjoy classic stroganoff flavors in a quick and easy dinner dish. Try our delicious Stroganoff Pork Steak and Chicken Meat Stroganoff. To make it even easier, try our fun Mini Beef Stroganoff Cobbs recipe and find more 5-ingredient dinners in What’s For Dinner? Also, check out our slow cooker recipe collection for easier beef, chicken, pork and vegetable ideas and healthy slow cooker inspiration.